Canadian Mom Writer

Thoughts and Opinions on the writing life, working from home, and mothering.

Name:
Location: St Marys, Ontario, Canada

I am a work at home mom of 3 living in the country just outside of St Marys, Ontario. I am a freelance writer and copywriter just finally getting going on my business after baby #3. I was born and raised in Dublin, Ireland and have called Canada home for 16 years now.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Argh! Enough with the lousy spelling, people!

OK. So tonight I'm surfing through some copywriting blogs when I come across a request on a message board to give testimonials about a beta web site, the reward being a free 5,000 page training book, or something like that. I think, sure, I'll give it a look, not like I'm having any amazing breakthroughs on my book or anything. I couldn't understand the headline, it was that disorienting. Then mistake after mistake in the copy of the website. I check out the sample chapters.... I can't imagine wanting to plow through 1,200 pages of this stuff. Spelling errors rampant throughout the page. I can't stand to read any more so I close off the page. I think of emailing the guy to let him know my feelings, but decide not to as I've been told by a certain family member (yeah, you know who you are,) that I am too "HARSH"...

You know, if you're going to talk the talk and call yourself a copywriter, then you'd better walk the walk. How is it this guy is doing so well for himself, and here I am trying to figure out ways to justify writing off business expenses for the year when I haven't actually made any money? The bitter irony of it all..

The line from a Pink Floyd song just popped into my head, "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" Do you think that people like, oh, say Bill Gates or Oprah would have the credibility that they have today if they'd published sloppy copy on their websites through the years? There's a reason we have proofreaders and editors in this world, like a good publicist they're there to make you look better, even if you can't spell or don't know the difference between the words your and you're.

I'll admit it; I am a spelling snob. However, in the business world, credibility and trust are huge. If I can't take you seriously from the content on your website, then how am I going to take your product seriously and actually purchase it? Sloppy copy is a sales killer, don't let it take down your business.

Copywriter for Hire
www.carolmcleod.net

4 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

Hey sis! I think you can be harsh, but sometimes, you need to be! I say email that dude, and lingustically bust him up! ;).

3:31 PM  
Blogger neil said...

Just wondering if you could help me with the plural apostrophe thing. For instance, is it Susan's handbag or Susans' handbag. I just don't get it.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Sure, when you're unsure about the apostrophe, if you can turn the phrase into 'the handbag of Susan', then that means it's possessive and needs 's. For more help check out http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html

7:58 PM  
Blogger neil said...

Thanks for that, think I kind of got it. By the way, I'm with you ~ there is nothing wrong with good spelling, should be more of it. Carelessness is not a virtue.

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

">