Canadian Mom Writer

Thoughts and Opinions on the writing life, working from home, and mothering.

Name:
Location: St Marys, Ontario, Canada

I am a work at home mom of 3 living in the country just outside of St Marys, Ontario. I am a freelance writer and copywriter just finally getting going on my business after baby #3. I was born and raised in Dublin, Ireland and have called Canada home for 16 years now.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I spent yesterday with my two little brothers. Not that they are little anymore, at 25 and 22 they are independant men, living on their own with their own lives. One lives in Manhattan and is pursuing a career in Musical Theatre, the other is at York University and will eventually be making scads of money in the tech field. You can view his blog here; http://www.concisecoding.blogspot.com

I am very proud of my brothers, even though they are much younger than me, they inspire me to follow my own dreams. When we were younger, it was always my job to watch over them, to make sure they didn't get into trouble or get run over or worse. I used to hate hanging out with my friends and having to keep an eye on a little gurrier or two, it really cramped my style! Now the tables have turned and they watch over me, like in New York when I could hardly walk after our weekend of sightseeing. I am the little sister now.

Christmas this year will be extra special, with them living away from home now and not being able to get home much, the time we spend together is quality. It won't be like this for much longer, as they are getting to the stage in their lives when girlfriends become more serious, they develop their own extended families through in-laws, and their lives and careers take them further away from the home base. My mother mentioned yesterday that she wanted to get a family picture of the 9 of us this year, I think deep down she knows that this may be the last Christmas that we will be able to do that.

But enough of that or I will get all misty eyed. We are constantly developing new Christmas traditions, and now I have to think about my children's view of the holidays, their memories are still being made, and I know I want them to have the same wonderful holiday memories that I have. Most of my memories as a child involve family, the presents fade into memory, but it's how we spend the time and who with, that remains in our memories many years from now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

Well said sister. Well said.

Makes me all watery eyed...

7:01 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Aww..just remember this when you're all rich and famous and living in a huge penthouse in whatever large city you end up in...

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

">